Abdomen > Abdominal Wall Strain > Treatments

R.I.C.E., Bandage

Home recovery

Whether it stems from an acute injury or chronic overuse, abdominal wall strain often can be treated effectively using part of the routine known as R.I.C.E. - Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation:

Rest - Your doctor will likely suggest that you take it easy for several days or longer, depending on the severity of your injury, so it may be wise to clear your schedule of any physical activities.

Ice - Your doctor may recommend applying an ice pack and massaging your abdomen with it for about 15 minutes three or four times on the first day. To massage, rotate the ice pack firmly around the area. If there is improvement after the first day, switch to heat. You can use heating pads or packs.

Compression - A wide, long wrap, a soft back brace, or an abdominal binder will help compress the area. A girdle can also be used for compression - by men as well as women.

You should also try to avoid constipation and straining while moving your bowels.

Prevention  

Physical therapists and athletic trainers can be helpful in instructing you in abdominal and pelvic stabilization exercises. These can be facilitated by the use of large rubber balls called physio-balls. Basically, stretching, flexibility and strengthening exercises are used for the main abdominal muscles, back muscles, and hip muscles. Depending on your activity, you may have underlying problems that may have contributed to the abdominal wall strain may require treatment. These may include back, hip, knee or ankle problems that affect the kinetic chain of movement, and therefore may have affected the abdominal muscles.

Treatments
R.I.C.E., Bandage
   Home Recovery
   Prevention

Copyright 2007 | Insall Scott Kelly® Institute. All Rights Reserved.